O-1 status

For individuals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, arts or athletics. O-1 status allows employment for an initial term of up 3 years, and can be annually extended in perpetuity.

To qualify, an individual must provide evidence of:

  1. Receipt of a major internationally-recognized award, such as the Nobel Prize; OR
  2. At least three of the following:
    1. recognized awards for excellence in the field of endeavor
    2. membership in associations requiring outstanding achievements of their members, as judged by recognized experts in their disciplines or fields
    3. Published material in professional trade publications or major media, relating to work in the field
    4. Participation as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied field of specialization
    5. Scientific, scholarly, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field
    6. Authorship of scholarly articles in the field, in professional journals or other major media
    7. Employment in an essential capacity with organizations with distinguished reputation
    8. A higher salary or other remuneration for services, as evidenced by contracts or other such documentation

Dependents of an O-1 may apply for an O-3 visa. An O-3 may not be employed but may register for classes. O-3 status is valid for as long as the O-1 status is valid.

TN status

This status permits Canadian and Mexican citizens to be employed in the United States as a professional in academic fields defined by NAFTA.

The TN non-immigrant can enter the U.S. for up to 3 years at a time and renew status in perpetuity.

TN status is employment-specific, so the visa holder can work only for UNL, and 100% of the salary must be paid by UNL.

For more information on TN status, visit U.S. Department of State.

B-1/B-2 and WB/WT statuses

  • B-1: for short-term (<90 days) business visits to participate in scientific, professional or business meetings; or to do independent research.
  • B-2: a short-term (<90 days) visa used for tourism, visiting family and friends, or medical treatment.
    Not for visitors participating in any business or professional activity, including students or longer-term scholars.
  • WB & WT: a short term (<90 days) visa waiver for citizens of some countries to visit the U.S.
    Business travelers have WB status, and tourists have WT status.
  • WB/WT visitors cannot extend their stay, and must leave the U.S. to change status.

    Subject to specific passport and pre-screening requirements. Denial of a recent U.S. entry visa application could result in an inability to meet these requirements.