The ISSO helps UNL faculty and staff bring international scholars to UNL for academic purposes.

The ISSO advises on immigration matters, issues immigration documents, and provides information on a wide range of issues such as health insurance and English language courses.

UNL hosts international scholars in a number of different immigration classifications including:

    • J-1 for Exchange Visitor: ProfessorResearcher, or Specialist categories
    • H-1B for Temporary Workers in a Specialty Occupation
    • Other classifications, including:
      • LPR for Lawful Permanent Residents
      • O-1 for Person of Extraordinary Ability
      • TN for Professionals under NAFTA (citizens of Canada or Mexico)
      • OPT for scholars who are in the practical training period of their F-1 immigration status
      • B-1 Visitor for Business

The type of immigration classification will be determined by the host department at UNL and the ISSO.

The ISSO does not:

  • provide immigration assistance to the general public or to visitors with tourist visas
  • assist prospective scholars in finding employment or other academic positions.

If you're an international scholar interested in visiting or working at UNL, you should contact academic departments or individual faculty members directly.

The UNL Office of Postdoctoral Studies offers some resources for prospective postdocs.

If you have received an offer of employment or invitation to campus, visit our New Scholar page.