Option 1:Recognized English Language Test
The scholar must have taken the test within the last five years:
- Internet Based TOEFL (iBT)
- TOEFL paper-based test
- Institutional/Campus based English Tests are NOT recognized.
A copy of the score(s) should be attached to the DS-2019 Request form.
Option 2:Diploma from English-speaking Country
Scholars must have graduated in the last 10 years with a bachelor’s or graduate degree in residence from a recognized institution of higher learning in the United States or another country where English is the first official language.
A copy of the diploma(s) should be attached to the DS-2019 Request form.
Option 3:English Language Proficiency Interview
Hosting departments can document a scholar's language proficiency by recording a personal interview with the scholar, either in-person or by videoconference.
- The interviewee’s face MUST be visible in the video recording
- The spoken words of both interviewer and interviewee must be audible
- Questions asked and answers provided must be in English
- Any video recording format is acceptable
ISSO does not review recordings to assess English language proficiency, but verifies that the interview was conducted in English.